Oberkirche Cottbus

The evangelical parish church of St. Nikolai is simply called "Oberkirche". The three-nave church, built of red brickwork, is the largest medieval church in the Lower Lusatia. The late Gothic "Oberkirche" was probably built between 1460 and 1520. The two-storey tower attachment with hood was added in 1671. After the capture of the city in 1945 by the "Red Army" the interior burned out. In 1988 the renovation work was finished with the top of the tower. 

Altmarkt Cottbus

The "Altmarkt" is the market square in the old town of Cottbus. Even though the square was built in the Middle Ages, almost all of the houses are much younger. The historical buildings at the "Altmarkt" were renovated after the turn of the century and are now shining in new splendor. At the "Altmark" there are many cafes and restaurants. In summer time you can dine on the beautiful place in a relaxed atmosphere. 

Spremberger Straße

The "Spremberger Straße" is just called "Sprem" by the locals. The pedestrian zone is the main shopping street of Cottbus. The "Sprem" connects the "Spremberger tower" in the south with the old market "Altmarkt" in the north. On the shopping street there nice shops and coffee houses.

Spremberger Turm

The "Spremberger Turm" is the landmark of Cottbus. The tower was built in the 13th century as part of the city wall. Here was the "Spremberger Tor", one of three city gates. In 1626 Walleinstein camped with his troops outside the city and ruined the cities budget. After the "Thirty Years War" the city fortification lost its importance. In 1726, the city finally grew beyond the old walls. Around 1880 the front bastion was demolished and replaced by residential and commercial buildings. The 28 m high tower can be climbed and offers a beautiful view over the city center of Cottbus. 

Staatstheater Cottbus

The "State Theater Cottbus" is one of the most beautiful theater buildings in Germany. The Art Nouveau theater was built in 1908 by Berlin architect Prof. Bernhard Sehring. On the two pillars, which surpass the theater, are chariots drawn by panthers and directed by Dionysus and Ariadne. 

Gerberhäuser

The "Gerberhäuser" (Tannery houses) are located on the Spree-Island. On the island there is the "Goethepark" and the "Cottbus Art Museum" (Kunstmuseum). The "Gerberhäuser" are already on maps of 1720. They used the mill ditch to wash and to tan leather. Three out of  four half-timbered houses are preserved. The "Mühlgraben" with the "Gerberhäusern" is one of the most idyllic places in Cottbus. 

Elektrizitätswerk Cottbus

The electric power station is the first of its kind in Cottbus. It was built and operated by Siemens & Halske in 1903. The power station uses the hydropower of the mill ditch, a side arm of the river Spree. Starting from 1927 the power station was extended by a diesel power station (now art museum). Today, the historic power station is used as an office building. 

BTU Cottbus University

With more than 8,000 students, the University "BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg" is the scientific center of the Lausitz region. Many international students revive the city and bring international flair to Cottbus. On some university buildings erected in the times of the East German GDR, one can still find socialistic murals. 

Fürst Pückler Schloss Branitz

The eccentric landscape planner "Herman Fürst von Pückler-Muskau" started to built the "Branitzer Park" from 1846 onwards. The castle was built by his grandfather in 1772. In the "Branitz Palace" you will find the "Pückler Museum", where rare objects of the Prince 's voyages to Egypt and England are exposed. Some of the rooms were rebuilt in the style of "Fürst Pückler" reign.

ads

Travel Guide Cottbus