Whether the "colossus of Rhodes" really stood above the port entrance is controversial but the colossus was one of the 7 wonders of the world. The 30 m high bronze statue of "Helios" the god of the sun was built in 292 bc. The "colossus of Rhodes" was destroyed by an earthquake in 226 BC. Today the Fort Agios Nikolaos stands at the harbour, together with two deer columns, the emblem of Rhodes.
The "Ethniko Theatro" National Theater was built by the Italy in 1937. Italy had liberated Rhodes in 1912 from the Ottomans. Mussolini ordered to built the Italian administrative center to the north of the old town, in a kind of neo-Venetian style. But the theater is a modern building.
The "Nea Agora" New Market was also built by the Italians. From the Mandraki port you can see the dome of the entrance. The market hall is more like a large courtyard with trees and a fountain in the middle. There are many restaurants and small shops in the courtyard, which make up the special atmosphere of the "Nea Agora".
The "Marine Gate" is the most beautiful city gate of the medieval fortification. It was built around 1478 by the Crusaders. The gate had a representative function more than it's militarily importance, as attacks from the water were unlikely at the time.
The "Platia Ippokratous" is the most important square in the center of Rhodes town. In the center of the square stands the "Castellania fountain" also called "Ippokratous Fountain" with an owl on the top. At the square there is also the Castellan Palace to the east with a large staircase and the Chadrevan Mosque to the west.
The "Aprodite Temple" was built in the 3C BC. The Doric temple of the love goddess is a ruin today with large stones at the northern entrance to the old town. In the Greek world of gods, Aphrodite was responsible for growing and developing as well as for beauty and love. Aphrodite corresponds to the Roman Venus.
In the Ippoton "Knight Street" stand the houses of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem. On the facades are the heraldic shields of the knights, who came from different parts of Europe to conquer Jerusalem. The Hospitalers conquered Rhodes in 1306 and were expelled by the Ottomans in 1522. The "Knight Street" was built around 1500.
The most famous sight of Rhodes is the palace of the knights. The palace was built in the 14th century for the knights of the St. John Order. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed by an earthquake. Another earthquake in 1851 and the explosion of the ammunition depot in 1856 distroyed the building completely. The Italians rebuilt the palace in 1940. The buildings of the palace are located around a courtyard, the main gate is still from the times of the Crusaders. In the palace is an exhibition about the history of the Rhodes.
After the Ottomans finally conquered the island of Rhodes in 1522, the Crusaders and Greeks left the island. One year later the mosque was built by "Süleyman the Magnificent". The "Süleyman-Pasha Mosque", which stands here today, was built in 1808. The pink mosque is directed towards Mecca and is therefore not in the street pattern of the city. The dilapidated minaret had to be removed in 1980. In 2005 a new minaret was built.
On the main shopping street of Rhodes, the "Sokratous" a building is striking because it pushes into the street .Like the "Suleyman Mosque" the "Haci Mehmet Aga Camii" is also facing in direction of Mecca and opposes the north-south grid of the city. Unfortunately, most mosque in Rhodes are not open to the public, therefore the building from the 18th century can only be seen from the outside.
At the end of the shopping street Evreon Martiron there is a beautiful ruin on the south side. The church "Panagia tou Bourgou" which is called the Church of the Virgin of the Burgh". "Panagia" is the Virgin Mary in the Greek Orthodox Church. The Gothic church was built in the 14th century.
The city wall of Rhodes is very well preserved. This is because the medieval wall ring could never be conquered. The Ottomans attacked the city with 200,000 men but could not defeat the 7,000 knights. After assurances of free escort, the knights withdrew in 1522 and surrendered the city to the Turks.
The "Acropolis of Rhodes" was founded 408 BC. on the Monte Smith. There is not much left of the ancient city with 60,000 inhabitants. The city was built over by the Crusaders. The Apollo Temple, the theater and the stadium were rebuilt by the Italians around 1930. From Monte Smith you have the most beautiful view of the northern tip of Rhodes Island, with Turkey in the background.