The Bruno House has only a narrow façade to the Strauss street with 6 windows and three cantilevered balconies. The house was built in 1933 by the architect Ze'ev (Wilhelm) Haller with three storeys. It served as a home for the teachers of the Balfour School to the opposite. The client was Bruno Boaz and Josef Schwabe from the Tel Aviv Building Company. The building is therefore also known as Boaz-Schwabe-House. Wilhelm Haller was born in Gliwice (Germany now Poland) and studied at the TU Darmstadt. He worked in Breslau (Wroclaw), Frankfurt and Leipzig, before opening his own architectural office in 1914. After the seizure of power by Adolf Hitler in 1933, Haller moved to Tel Aviv.
In 2004, the Bruno House was renovated and expanded by Bar Orian Architects. The new floors are located in the rear part of the building and are not noticeable from the street. This kept the original character of the building untouched.
The Max-Liebling-Haus was built in 1936 for the entrepreneur Max Liebling. The house on Idelson Street was designed by architect Dov Karmi. The native Russian (now Ukraine) came to Palestine in 1921 with his family. After studying architecture in Ghent, he returned to Israel in 1929. Karmi founded an architectural firm together with Ze'ev Rechter and Arieh Sharon in 1932. In 1957, Dov Karmi became the first architect to receive the Israel Prize.
The Max-Liebling-Haus was renovated for the White City Center in 2019. The White City Center is a German-Israeli cooperation that protects the legacy of Bauhaus architecture in Tel Aviv. The building is open to the public. On the ground floor there is a café and a small shop, worth seeing is the rooftop terrace with beautiful views and a floor covering with a city map of Tel Aviv.
The White City Center organizes architectural city tours to which you can register on the WCC website.
At Allenby Street / King George Street intersection, there are two Bauhaus buildings whose round shape and flying roof make it a place where the famous HaCarmel Market begins. Not only is Allenby Street a major shopping street, it also divides Tel Aviv into two distinct zones. To the southwest is a gridded city layout with narrow, densely built lanes, while northeast the garden city begins with leafy front gardens.
The Poliashuk House on the right was built in 1934 by Shlomo Liaskovski and Jacob Orenstein. The Gottgold House on the left was built in 1938 and designed by Yehuda Magidovitch, who also designed the famous Esther Cinema on Dizengoff Square now called Hotel Cinema.
The Poliashuk House was planned as an office building and serves todayas a hotel. It is marketed as Poli House, an exclusive design hotel with a rooftop terrace. The house on the other side of the street was not yet renovated.
On the narrow property between Levanda Street and HaRakevet Street stands a residential building by architect Shimon Hamadi Levy. The Levy House cuts through the streets of Tel Aviv like a steamer . The building was errected in 1934 and has at the narrowest point a tower that looks like a navigation bridge. At the bow and at the rear of the building, there are rounded balconies that look like a railing.
The Acum House is different from the other Bauhaus buildings on Rothschild Boulevard through the open balconies. The balconies consist of a cantilevered concrete slab and horizontal balusters. This detail also occurs at the Bauhaus in Dessau. The building of Yitzhak Rapoport (1901-1990) consists of three parts, a lower living area, the vertical staircase in the middle and a slightly higher living area. The staircase has nine narrow windows, each of these windows has its own little sun roof. This makes the staircase the most eye-catching detail of the house. The higher living area is completed by a horizontal beam, which formerly served as a substructure for sun protection slats. This beam does not go to the edge of the building except for the outer edge of the windows. Usually such a beam traces the cubature of the building and creates a transition between the white structure and the blue sky.
The Acum House was named after the association of authors and musicians who used the building as an office between 1962 and 2002. Originally the house was built in 1933 for the Rapoport family. At that time it was called Sarah House, named after the owner's wife. The rear part of the building had originally two floors and was increased during the renovation.
At the corner of Jehuda Halevi / Mazeh Street stands the Delfiner House by Ze'ev Haller from 1934. The Delfiner House is a prime example of Bauhaus architecture in Tel Aviv. The three-storey residential building consists of 4 horizontal façade tapes, behind which are the balconies and the attic. The horizontal bands are broken only by a typical "thermometer staircase". The transition from the balcony to the facade is marked by round bulges of the balconies. The building corner is formed by the roundness of the balconies and emphasized by two palm trees.
The Delfiner House belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage "White City" Tel Aviv and has high conservation requirements. The building was not replenished during the renovation in 2015 and is very well preserved.
The Jacobson's Building was built in 1937 by architect Emanuel Halbrecht and renovated in 2012 by Nitza Szmuk architects and expanded. The Jacobson's Building stands out for its elegant design language and high quality materials. On the ground floor there are shops and offices, on the upper floors apartments. Originally the house was designed as an office building. Emanuel Halbrecht has skilfully structured the building masses and created a very elegant corner of the building, which is created by a vertical staircase and a lower, rounded structure. The transition between natural stone base and plaster facade is emphasized by projecting canopies. The staircase has black metal railings, a terrazzo floor and yellow wall tiles, which merge into a white plaster after a black bar.
The Haaretz printing company was bought in 1937 by Salman Schocken, who became rich through department stores in Germany. Especially the department store Schocken in Stuttgart by Erich Mendelsohn acquired architectural significance. Salman Schocken emigrated to Palestine in 1935, the Schocken department stores in Germany were aryanized and became part of the Merkur AG. After the war, he got back 51% of the shares of the Merkur AG, which he sold. Haaretz "The Land" is one of the most important newspapers in Israel and still owned by the Schocken family.
Haaretz Print Works was built in 1934 by Joseph Berlin and his son Zeev. Joseph Berlin (1877-1952) had studied in Odessa and worked in St. Petersburg before moving to Palestine in 1921.
The Haaretz printing house is a small building with an upper floor. Striking is the glass staircase and the balcony with railing rails. The building used to have another structure in the back, which was demolished and replaced by a higher residential building.
The office building which houses the Visitor Center of the Bank of Israel was built in 1937 by Dov Kutchinsky. The architect, born in Krakow in 1883, moved to Palestine in 1920. Under the British occupation this building was used as tax office, which was attacked in 1944 by the Jewish underground army Etzel. The building looks massive like a bunker, also the enclosure of the window bands looks rough. The side entrance is marked by a rounded canopy, which becomes a vertical wall element on the façade, which breaks through the overhanging attic and towers above it.
The Moshe Suitsky House is a very fine example of modern architecture in Tel Aviv. It was built in 1933 by Yaakov Borenstein. The house is located on a prominent corner where 5 streets merge, including the shopping street Nahalat Binyamin. There is retail on the ground floor and office space above. There is another floor on top in the rear part of the building. An encircling canopy between the ground floor and the first floor is the characteristic feature of the building. It emphasizes the curve to the square and gives the house an elegant lightness.
The Moshe Suitsky House was renovated in 2014 by Ilan Kedar and Haviva Even in a bright yellow tone. The canopy is white and stands out clearly from the rest of the building.
The home on Montefiore Street was first planned by Yehuda Magidovich but ultimately built by Isaac Schwarz. The exact year is not known, it is believed that the building was built between 1932-35, as both architects had designed in the 1920s, yet eclectic buildings and developed only from 1930 towards Art Deco.
The house had a ground floor and two upper floors. The house is long and narrow, Montefiore street has rounded loggias, at the other end (photo) rounded balconies with metal railings. The house was built for the Havoinik family but later used as an office building.
During the refurbishment and expansion of Ammon Bar Or Architects 2011, 3 storeys were added.
The Dizengoff Square was named after the wife of mayor Zina Dizengoff Circle. It was also a woman who won the town planning competition for Tel Aviv's most significant square. The 25-year-old architect Genia Averbuch designed a round space with three-storey buildings and uniform facades.
The most significant building on Dizengoff Square is the Hotel Cinema. It was opened in 1939 as Esther Cinema. The architect Yehuda Magidovitch came to Israel in 1919 from today's Ukraine and developed a modern architectural language in Tel Aviv. The facades of all houses in the square were designed according to the specifications of Genia Averbuch.
The cinema went bankrupt and the building fell into disrepair until it was converted into a hotel in 2001. New ceilings were built into the former cinema hall for hotel rooms. The ceiling height and the height of the balconies do not quite match, some of the rooms require stairs to reach the balcony. The former foyer of the cinema is now used as a reception. The spiral staircase, which led to the former lodges, remained.
The house of Ze'ev (Wilhelm) Haller was built in 1936. The building along King George Street is divided into 5 sections by the offset balconies. The rounded balconies together create a wave motion along the road. The balconies used to be open and were closed later with glass elements. The settlement Bruchfeldstraße was built in 1928 with a similar concept. Since Haller studied in Darmstadt and worked in Frankfurt, he was certainly familiar with the housing project by Ernst May. The houses were arranged offset to achieve a better exposure to light. In the sunny city of Tel Aviv, the balconies work like a sunscreen. In the slightly recessed ground floor is a shop.
The home of Joseph Noifeld is a long, curved building dominated by a cantilevered balcony on the upper floor. The elongated part of the building (photo) is located on Beilinson Street, here is also the Haoel Theater by Arieh Sharon from 1939, which takes up the rounding of Noifeld. Arieh Sharon is one of the few architects in Tel Aviv who actually studied at the Bauhaus in Dessau. The residential building on Ben Ami Street was built in 1937.
One of the few Bauhaus-style office buildings is the 1979 Asian House by Mordechai Ben Horin. The building consists of 5 curved facades of white, glazed tiles. The Asia House is reminiscent of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum by Frank Lloyd Wright in New York, which opened in 1959. The curved shape is to represent the waves in the sea. In the glazed basement there are shops and cafes. Asia House is home to several embassies and Cultural Institutes. The Asia House is one of the most famous buildings in Tel Aviv.