Futurium

The House of the Future "Futurium" is a scientific exhibition building that deals with future technologies and leads to a dialogue with the population. It is supported by the Federal Republic of Germany and several technology companies. The Futurium is a low-energy house powered by renewable energy. The building was designed by the Berlin architecture firm Richter and Musikowski, who were able to prevail in a Europe-wide competition in 2013. The Futurium was completed in 2017, it offers exhibition areas and a large auditorium for 550 visitors. On the sides, the façade consists of diamond-shaped cassette elements made of ceramic-printed cast glass, shimmering green-silver. The "Skywalk" roof is open to the public. Here you can see the photovoltaic and solar thermal system, that supplies the Futurium with energy. From here you will have a nice view over the Spreebogen to the chancellery. 

Reichstag

The "Reichstag" (Parliament) by Paul Wallot was opened in 1894. In 1933 the Reichstag was allegedly set on fire by Dutch communists "van der Lubbe". The version of the arson attack is very unlikely, since Adolf Hitler could govern without Parliament after the Reichstag burned down. After the reunification the Reichstag was restored by Sir Norman Foster who set a new dome on the building in 1999.

Hansaviertel

The Hansaviertel was originated as International Building Exposition in 1957. The "Interbau" was based on the "Charter of Athens". Numerous famous architects like Walter Gropius, Max Taut, Oscar Niemeyer, Alvar Aalto and many more, designed modern residential building at "Hansaviertel". 

Map Mitte West

L 40

The residential and commercial building with an art gallery at Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz was designed by the architect Roger Bundschuh and the artist Cosima von Bonin. The building "L 40" was completed in 2010 and looks like a dark gray monolith of concrete with cut in openings.   

Brunnenstraße 9

The architectural firm Brandlhuber has designed its own office in a vacant lot in Mitte. In the back of the site was a ruin that was completed with little resources. On the street, a new building with slightly offset floor slabs was built. The small projections can be seen on the façade, which consists of translucent polycarbonate elements and glass surfaces. This jump of 30 cm offers rooms with different heights on each floor. The stairs are outside in the back yard, so the rooms can be freely arranged, there is no disturbing staircase in the middle. In addition, the staircase can be used as a balcony. The building is used as a gallery, office and residential building. It blends into the Berlin block structure, but differs by the translucent facade from the environment.  

Paragon Apartments

The "Paragon Apartments" in Prenzlauer Berg have been designed by Graft architects. The residential building was constructed on the Danziger Straße in 2016 and closed the housing block of the former hospital. The 217 apartments have high ceilings and can be used by sliding doors like a loft. 

Haus des Lehrers

The 13th-storey office building by Herman Henselmann was built in 1964. It was the first high-rise building on the Alexanderplatz and got its name from the predecessor of the Berlin Teaching Society, which was destroyed during the 2 World War. In 1919 the memorial service for Karl Liebknecht and Rosa Luxemburg took place in the "Haus des Lehrers" (teachers building). The special feature of the teacher's house is the frieze of 800,000 mosaic stones. The artwork "Unser Leben" (Our life) by Walter Womacka shows the life in the GDR. 

Dutch Embassy Berlin

The embassy building of the Netherlands was built by Rem Koolhaas (OMA). The architect from Rotterdam designed an extravagant house of steel, glass and concrete, with an opening that winds along the outer envelope of the building up to the roof. The embassy was officially opened in 2004 by Queen Beatrix and Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer. The building received the European Architecture Prize in 2005. 

Galeries Lafayette

The French departement store was built in 1996 by Jean Nouvel. The completely glazed building was erected before the "Steinerne Berlin" by Hans Stimmann became mandatory for all new buildings in Berlin's Mitte district. The glass funnel in the interior, is the most stunning part of the "Galeries Lafayette". 

Mao Berlin-Mitte-Prenzlauer Berg

Velodrom and swimming pool

Berlin applied for the 2000 Olympics Games and began to build a Velodrome and a swimming pool before Sydney got the Games. French architect Dominique Perrault designed the sports complex that was opened in 1997. The two halls are covered with stainless steel mats. 

Frankfurter Tor

The "Frankfurt Gate" is formed by two identical residential towers designed by Herman Henselmann in 1953. The two tower spiers are a reminiscent of the church towers at the Gendarmenmarkt by Carl von Gontard. The gate belongs to the ensemble of the former "Stalin-Allee". 

Map Berlin-Friedrichshain

Kollhoff Turm

The tallest high-rise building at Potsdamer Platz was erected by Hans Kollhoff in the year 2000. The former "DaimlerChrysler Building" is today known as "Kollhoff Tower", since the two car producers have separated. The red-clad tower is a reminiscent of New York high-rise buildings of the 1930s with "setbacks". The "Kollhoff Tower" is 103 m tall, on the top floor is the observation platform called "Panoramapunkt". 

Sony Center

The "Sony Center" by Helmut Jahn from Chicago is an office building with movietheatre and restaurants opened in the year 2000. The special feature of the complex is the covered square and the "Kaisersaal" (emperor's hall) of the former Hotel Esplanade, that was moved into the new building. 

Rogers Building

Richard Rogers has designed three office buildings at Linkstrasse, to the south of the Potsdamer Platz, which were used by Daimler Benz since the opening in 1997. The two northern buildings have a striking corner, with a glass cylinder protected by yellow sun slats.   

Berliner Philharmonie

The concert hall of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra was built between 1960-1963 by Hans Scharoun. The complex consists of two buildings, which stand on a white pedestal and are clad with gold-anodised aluminum panels. The curved roof forms recalls a tent roof, which led to the nickname "Circus Karajani". 

Neue Nationalgalerie

The Neue Nationalgalerie by Mies van der Rohe consists of two components. The base houses the permanent exhibition, on ground floor temporary exhibitions take place. Opened in 1968 the building with it's column-free hall, has become an icon of classic modern architecture. 

Jewish Museum

The concept of Daniel Libeskind explores the emptiness (void), which was created by the annihilation of the Jewish community. The building was designed in zigzag lines around these voids. The Jewish Museum was opened in 2001.   

Map Potsdamer Platz

Upper West

At 119 m, the "Upper West" is 20 cm higher than the opposite "Zoofenster". The design was created by the Berlin architect Christoph Langhof, the execution planning was done by Frankfurt architects of KSP Jürgen Engel. The Upper West consists of a building that has two rounded corners on the west and east sides, creating the impression of a double high-rise building. Already in 1994 Langhof designed the skyscraper, which was called Atlas Hochhaus. In 2013, the Schimmelpfeng house built in the 1950s was demolished to give way for the new highrise. The Upper West was completed in 2017 and is used as a hotel and office building. The skyscraper has a floor area of around 55,000 m² on 33 floors. 

Zoofenster

"The Waldorf Astoria Hotel" Berlin was opened in 2013 in the "Zoofenster" tower. The 118.8 m high hotel by Prof. Christoph Mäckler from Frankfurt is currently the third-highest high-rise building in the Berlin. There are 232 rooms on 32 floors of the Waldorf Astorial Hotel, office space and shops are located on the pedestal floor. For the construction of the "Zoofenster" the monument-protected "Schimmelpfeng" house was demolished. The ten-storey house from the post-war period had overlaid the Kantstraße and obscured the view on the "Gedächtniskirche". The construction of the "Zoofenster" was started in 2008. 

 

 

Gedächtniskirche

The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche was destroyed during the 2 World War and rebuilt by Egon Eiermann between 1959 and 1963. Eiermann wanted to demolish the ruins, but after protests of the people, the ruins were preserved. Eierman designed a new octagonal church with a freestanding tower next to it. 

Bikini-Haus

The "Bikini house" was built in 1957 by Paul Schwebes and Hans Schoszberger as the center at the zoo. In 2013 the building was revitalized and expanded by a "concept mall". The name "Bikini" was created because there is an upper and a lower part of the building. 

Map Berlin-Charlottenburg

Berlin Tempelhof

The Tempelhof Airport was the largest building in the world, after its completion in 1941. The 1.2 km long building was designed by Ernst Sagebiel. In 2008 the airport was closed, with only 350,000 passengers per year. A new airport for 25 million passengers is under construction south of Berlin. The empty field "Tempelhofer Feld" is now used as park.

Gropiusstadt

The new urban settlement of Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius was built between 1962 and 1975. The apartments were built for working class and people with low income. Therefor the "Gropiusstadt" with it's 35,000 inhabitants, is regarded as a hot spot for social conflicts. Originally the houses should be only 5 storeys high, but that has been changed to solve the housing problems of Berlin. 

Hufeisensiedlung

The "Hufeisensiedlung" by Bruno Taut and Martin Wagner was completed in 1933. Center of the settlement is a horseshoe-shaped (Hufeisen) house row with a pond in the green center. Trademark of Bruno Taut were cobalt blue outside walls, he used red and yellow in the interior. 

Map Berlin South

Corbusierhaus

The "Corbusierhaus" was built in 1957 as part of the "InterBau". The residential building of Swiss architect Le Corbusier offers 530 residential units. Apart from the one-room apartments, all housing units have two levels (maisonette). The "Unité d'habitation" is acessed by 130 m long corridors, the "rues intérieures". Unlike the "Unité d'habitation" in Marseille, the house in Berlin has no accessible roof landscape. The building is about 141 m long, 23 m wide and 53 m high. 

Olympic Stadium Berlin 1936

The Berlin Olympic Stadium was built for the 1936 Olympic Games. The fascist rotunda was designed by the Berlin architect Werner March. On the property was already the German stadium, which was designed by Otto March, the father of Werner March. Adolf Hitler used the Olympics in Berlin for propaganda in order to demonstrate to his own people the greatness and determination of the National Socialist movement. The Olympic Stadium served this purpose and, with 100,000 spectators, was one of the largest stadiums in the world. For comparison, the largest stadium of today, has room for 114,000 visitors (Pyongyang). The stadium is located halfway in the ground, only the upper ring is visible from the outside and covered with shell limestone. The roof of the Olympic stadium was built for the 2006 FIFA World Cup by Gerkan, Marg and Partner. 

ads

Architecture Guide Berlin

Architecture in Berlin

The architectural guide of Berlin shows the most interesting buildings that originated in 1900 in the German capital. The buildings are sorted by districts. Older buildings of importance are to be found under sights Berlin. 

 

 

ads

ads