The Henninger Turm is a landmark of the city of Frankfurt and offers the most beautiful view of the Frankfurt skyline. The Henninger Turm was built in 1961 as a grain silo for the Henninger brewery. On the 87 m high silo was an eccentrically sitting tower tip in the form of a beer keg. With the barrel of the old Henninger tower reached a height of 119.5 m. In the barrel was a revolving restaurant and a viewing platform. The old Henninger tower by architect Karl Emil Lieser was demolished in 2013 because the silo was no longer needed. At the same place a new Henninger tower was to be built. The Frankfurt architects Meixner Schlüter Wendt won the competition for the new residential tower, which is reminiscent of the grain silo. The barrel was rebuilt and the facade is white towards the city center, like the old Henninger tower. The new Henninger tower was opened in 2018, is 140 m high and significantly wider to create generous living space. In the spire there is again a restaurant and a viewing platform. However, the new restaurant Franziska is no revolving restaurant anymore. The viewing platform is currently only accessible via the restaurant (as of Feb. 2019).
The tower of the European Central Bank was opened 2015. The 185 m high office building of the Viennese architects Coop Himmelb(l)au sits next to the former "Grossmarkthalle" by Martin Elsaesser built in 1928. The 220 m long facade of the market hall is broken by a cantilevered structure, wich marks the entrance into the complex. In the former market hall there are conference rooms and the press center. The tower consists of two twisted officebuildings that are connected by an atrium.
The two skyscrapers of Gruber + Kleine-Kraneburg architects were opened in 2014. The facade is dominated by a light stone. The project developer Tishman Speyer and Commerz Real have realized the 170 m high office tower and a 60-meter high residential tower. Both buildings are directly on the Frankfurt ramparts, a park along the former city wall. The two towers are the first buildings, with the main entrance to the park side.
On the site of the former "Palais Rothschild", which was demolished for the construction of the "Zurichhaus", the 68 m high office tower for the Zurich assurance company was built in 1960. As one of the first skyscrapers in Frankfurt, the tower was under monument protection, until it was demolished in 2002. The "Operntower" was designed by architect Prof. Christoph Mäckler in 2010. Construction of the 170 m tower was finished in 2010. The "Opernturm" was developed by Tishman Speyer Properties from New York.
The high-rise building for the "Commerzbank" was built in 1997. It was the highest office tower in Europe until 2003. The tower of Sir Norman Foster is 267 m high, with antenna 300 m. At the corners of the triangular floor plan, the elevator shafts are made of reinforced concrete, into which the office floors made of steel were hung. Large openings in the facade allows the view from the internal offices to the outside and there are used for gardens. These gardens, are clearly visible at night when iluminated with yellow light.
The residential complex by Frank O. Gehry consists of 162 apartments which were grouped in several houses around two green courtyards. The buildings in the Frankfurt district of Goldstein were built between 1993-1996. Typical for Gehry are the facades of zinc sheet metal.
Buildings by Frank O. Gehry:
The "Frankfurter Messeturm" was the tallest building in Europe, when it was completed in 1991 with a hight of 256.5 m. The previous record holder, the "Tour Montparnasse" in Paris with 210 m was surpassed. However, the record was taken away by the "Commerzbank Tower" in 1997. The "Messeturm" was designed by American architect Helmut Jahn from Chicago. The postmodern tower quotes some elements from the Frankfurt architectural history. The reddish granite is reminiscent of the sandstone of the old town buildings and like the frankfurt cathedral, the tower develops from a square at the base to a cylinder at the top.
Richard Meier's house on the Frankfurt Museum bank is one of his best works. Around the historic "Villa Metzler", the New York architect built a museum in 1985, that is perfectly combined with the park and the villa.
The 117m high tower of Oswald Mathias Ungers was completed in 1984. The Cologne architect, who died in 2007, placed the high-rise building on a triangular pedestal building at the S-Bahn station "Messe". The high-rise building consists of a stone part, from which a glass building rises upward. The facade is divided into a strict square grid. The high rise became the icon of Postmodern architecture and is still considered to be one of the best buildings of the 1980s.
Egon Eiermann, is the most famous german architect of the post-war period. He built the German HQ of Olivetti in Frankfurt-Niederrad. The office complex consists of two low-rise buildings connected by bridges and two office towers that stand diagonally opposite to each other on the low-rise buildings. The special feature of the Olivetti towers is the construction. The towers stand on a funnel-shaped concrete base. Eiermann died in 1970, the Olivetti headquarters were opened in 1972. Eiermann became famous for the reconstruction of the Gedächtniskirche in Berlin. In Frankfurt, he also built the Neckermann headquarters and the Hochtief tower (already demolished).
The headquarters of the united chemical industry "IG-Farben" was built in 1931 by Hans Poelzig. The "General Motors Building" in Detroit was the archetype. After the war, the complex served as headquarter of the US Army. Since 2001 the "Poelzig-Bau" is part of the Goethe University.
The "Römerstadt" of Ernst May is the most famous quarter of the "New Frankfurt". The settlement with 1,220 apartments was built in 1928. The "Nidda Bastions" (Photo) mark the border between city and the Nidda river. The curving form of the "Römerstadt" follows the river. It is called "Roman City" because there was a roman settlement called "Nida", which was destroyed by building the new homes.
Ernst May and his team designed 15,000 apartments between 1925-1930, for the building program "Neues Frankfurt". The first quarter was built in 1928 called "Zickzackhausen". For the apartments the "Frankfurter Küche" (Frankfurt Kitchen) was developed by Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky.
The administrative building of the "Farbwerke Höchst" was completed in 1924. The construction of Peter Behrens became the hallmark of the "Hoechst AG". Through three glass domes, light falls into the hall of colored bricks. Access only possible on a guided tour by Infraserve (the building is on the site of a chemical plant).
regiopia architecture guides