The medieval fortress on the hill is the landmark of Salzburg, with over 1 million visitors a year. If you want to save the arduous climb to the top of the fortress mountain, you can take the funicular to the castle grounds. Operation times vary depending on the seasons. The Fortress Card includes the ascent and descent as well as the entrance fee of the castle grounds.
Archbishop von Raitenau built the castle in 1606 for his beloved Salome, who lived here until the arrest of the Archbishop. Archbishop Markus Sittikus of Hohenems gave the castle the name "Mirabell". Until 1727 the baroque castle with the beautiful "Mirabellgarden" was built.
The "Old Market" is not the oldest market place in the city, it was built in the middle of the 13th century. Nevertheless, the Old Market is the center of Salzburg. On the square stands the fountain "Florianbrunnen" built in 1687. The coffee house Tomaselli, is famous as the oldest of it's kind in Austria.
On the "Mozart Square" stands a sculpture of the famous composer since 1842 by Ludwig Schwanthaler . A Roman mosaic was discovered during the construction of the Mozart monument. At Mozartplatz stands the palace of the Lords of Rehlingen, where the family of Antretter lived, which promoted Mozart.
The birthplace of "Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart" is one of the main attractions of Salzburg. Mozart was born on 27 January 1756 in this house in the Getreidegasse. On three floors the visitor learns everything worth knowing about the most famous son of the city of Salzburg. How did Mozart live, when did he begin to play, who promoted the talented musician? The exhibition answers all questions about the life of the Wunderkind.
The town hall of Salzburg was originally a bourgeois house of the Kreuzl family. The building was built on a former defense tower, which was later extended to the tower Rathausturm. The city bought the building in 1407 and put an octagonal bell tower on the top. In 1775 the rococo façade was built. In 1947 the city administration withdrew and shops were opened in the ground floor. In 2012 a passage was cut through the building to the river Salzach.
The "Getreidegasse" is the largest shopping street in Salzburg. The pretty street is marked by the signs of the shops. Even stores of international companies, have made signs in a historic look, to meet the character of the street.
The university church is also known as the "Kollegienkirche". The baroque church was completed in 1707. The famous Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach was the architect, the master builder from Graz also designed the Trinity Church in Salzburg and the Karlskirche in Vienna. The interior of the church is rather plain for a Baroque building, the ceilings and walls are painted white. As a result, the church is not as ostentatious as many other churches of the time.