The foundation stone for the bridge over the River Vltava was laied by "Emperor Charles IV" in 1357. There have been previous bridges made of wood and stone, which have been destroyed by floods. The numerous statues of saints on the bridge were erected later on.
The "Old Town Square" is the marketplace and the center of medieval Prague. At "Old Town Square" you will find the City Hall, the Gothic Tyn Church, the church of St. Nicolas and the house "U minuty" were Franz Kafka lived. In the center of the square stands a monument of the reformer "Jan Hus", who was burned here for his faith on the stake.
The "Astronomical Clock" on the facade of the "Old Town Hall" was constructed in 1410 by Jan Sindel, a Prague mathematician and astronomer. The figures of the "Twelve Apostles", that appear every full hour, were added in the 17th century.
The construction of the 65 m high powder tower "Prasna brana" was started in 1475, but the work went on for several centuries until the tower was finally completed in 1886. As the name suggests, gunpowder was stored here for the defense of the city. The Gothic ornaments and the steep roof was added in the 19th century.
The St. Nicholas Cathedral or "Sv. Mikulase" at "Lesser Town" was built between 1703 and 1756. The baroque church was designed by Christoph Dientzenhofer, a well-known German architect. The huge ceiling fresco of the 75 m high dome was designed by Johann Lukas Kracker. Saint Nicholas is the protector of traders and merchants.
The "Obecni dum" Municipal House was built between 1906 and 1912. The Art Nouveau building designed by the architects Balsanek and Polivka was erected on the site of the royal court. The Czechoslovak Republic was proclaimed here in 1918. The building is used for exhibitions, concerts and restaurants.
The Wenceslas Square "Válavské námestí" is the largest square in the center of Prague, it was established as a horse market in the 14th century. Saint Wenceslas was a Bohemian prince and promoter of Christianity who was murdered by his brother and has been venerated as a saint and patron of Bohemia.
The foundation stone for the construction of the "St. Vitus Cathedral" Katedrala svateho Vita) was put by Carl IV in 1344. The gothic cathedral served as coronation site of the Bohemian kings, even if the cathedral was not completed until 1929.
The Prague Castle "Hradčany" is the district on the hill above the city. In the Czech Republic power has always been concentrated here. The kings of Bohemia, the archbishop and the noble families lived here. This was also the place of the second Prague defenestration in 1618, which triggered the "Thirty Years War".
The oldest preserved synagogue in Europe was built around 1270. The old Jewish cemetery, which is covered by patina, is situated next to the synagogue. Rabbi Löw is also buried here, who is said to have created a "Golem" to protect the Jews of Prague.