Before the former Town Hall of the French Colony, stands a monument to "Ho-Chi-Minh", former President of the "Democratic Republic of Vietnam". Ho-Chi-Minh died in 1969 and Saigon was named "Ho Chi Minh City" after the victory of the Communist North Vietnamese in 1975. The french town hall built in 1908 serves today as "seat of the peoples committee".
The former presidential palace is today called "Reunification Palace" (Hoi Truong Thong Nhat) because the reunification of North and South Vietnam was negotiated here. The palace was built in 1962 and served as the headquarters of South Vietnam. Many rooms of the palace look like takem from an old "James Bond film" with an underground bunker.
Notre Dame Cathedral is located in the center of Saigon. The Catholic church was built in 1880. The facade is decorated with red tiles from Marseille. The towers of the neo-Romanesque church are 40 m high and were for a long time the highest towers in the city. In front of the cathedral there is a statue of Mary with the inscription "Regina Pacis Ora Pro Nobis". (Intercession of the Queen of Peace)
The "Jade Emperor" Yu Di is the supreme divinity of the Daoists. He regulates all heavenly and earthly matters from his heavenly palace. The temple is one of the main attractions of Saigon. It is also known as "turtle temple" because on the left side of the entrance is a water pool in which one can "free" turtles. The interior is dark and full of valuable wooden carvings.
The "Saigon River" winds its way through the city center of Saigon and flows into the larger "Song Soai Rap" still in "Ho Chi Minh City". Best time for a river cruise is at night, when all the lights of the city illuminate the skyline of Saigon. Jetties are located in the extension of "Nguyen Hue" Boulevard.