The construction work of the cathedral began in 1163. In 1345 the church was completed. Notre Dame was begun in the Romanesque style and completed in the early Gothic style. You shoud go on the towers of and admire the view and the grotesque heads of the gargoyles figures.
Le Notre extended the Avenue of the Tuileries to the west in 1667, creating the Grand-Cours, later called "Avenue des Champs-Élysées". In Greek mythology the "Elysium" is located on the island of the blissful, and is located very far in the west.
The arch was commissioned by Napoleon in 1806, in order to celebrate his victory over Russia and Austria at Austerlitz. In 1836 the Arc de Triomphe was opened to the public. From the top you will have a great view over the Champs Elysee.
The old village square of "Montmartre" is a tourist market today, where you can find amateur painters and caricaturists. The "Place du Tertre" is a beautiful place where the gallows used to stand. There are many restaurants and cafés at the square and lots of tourists from all over the world.
The variety show opened in 1898 for the first time and became the epitome of villainous Paris. The Cancan was invented here and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec spent his nights at the club and designed the posters of the Moulin Rouge. At this time many other theaters, cabarets and variety shows emerged on the Boulevard de Clichy.
King Louis XV decided to built the "Eglise de la Madeleine" in 1764. However, the work was interrupted because of the French Revolution. Napoleon continued the constuction in 1806. After Napoleon's fall, the church was consecrated in 1845.
The square was created in 1776 as "Place Royal". After the French Revolution in 1792, the Guillotine stood here and beheaded more than 1.000 people. The "square of unity" got its present name in 1795.
The "Place Vendome" was built between 1699 and 1806. After the king's equestrian image was destroyed in the Revolution, Napoleon I had the glorious idea of erecting a Victory column on the square according to the Roman model.
The 300 m high tower by Gustave Eiffel was built for the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution in 1889. Since then the Eiffel Tower has become the symbol of Paris. Who wants to visit the tower should plan with long time waiting at the counters, the Lifts, and the stairs and the way back.
The Porte Saint Martin was a city gate, which was demolished for the city expansion in 1670. Near the old gate, a triumphal arch for Ludwig XIV was built in 1674.
The Place St. Michel was built in 1855 by Napoleon III. The Fontaine de Saint-Michel, represents Archangel Michael, who fights the devil. The sculptor Francisque Joseph Duret created the fountain in 1860. The Art Deco entrance to the metro station is also very famous.
The "Panthéon" was designed before the revolution as church Sainte-Genevieve. In 1790, the building was finished and declared a National Hall of Fame for the Revolutionaries. Since then, great French persons have been entombed here, like Marie Curie, Alexandre Dumas, Victor Hugo, Voltaire and Rousseau.