Emperor Justinian also built this giant cistern with 336 columns, which could take 80,000 cubic meters of water. Tourists can visit the ancient water tank next to the Hagia Sophia.
The palace of Mehmed II was built in 1469. The location was chosen by strategic reasons. The Sultan could overlook the harbor and control the Bosphorus with his cannons. The Topkapi Palace is famous for it's luxurious harem and stunning splendor.
The "Hagia Sophia" (Church of Holy Wisdom) was built by the roman Emperor Justinian, who ruled from 527 until his death in 565. For centuries the Hagia Sophia was the world's largest church. The dome has a diameter of 32 m. After the conquest of Constantinople by the Ottomans in 1453, the Hagia Sophia became the main mosque of Istanbul.
The Egyptian obelisk came to Constantinople in the 4th century under Emperor Theodosius (379-395). At that time there was the 429 m long Hippodrome at this place, in which chariot races were held with 100,000 spectators. On the square stands also the Serpent Column, which was once in the Greek oracle town of Delphi and was brought by Konstatin to his capital. Two of the three heads of the column have been lost.. The remaining head is now in the Archaeological Museumof Istanbul next to Topkapi Sarayi.
The 35-meter high pillar of Constantine stood in the Roman Forum and served Apollo, the god of light, the arts, healing, spring and moral purity. It was built by Emperor Constantine, who ruled the Roman Empire from 306-337. Konstantin saw himself as the god of the sun and the statue on the pillar was modeled after him. The forum was the center of the Roman city of Constantinople. The Apollo statue was destroyed in a storm in 1106.
"Suleyman the Magnificent" built this mosque in 1557. The mosque, with its numerous domes and light-filled rooms, is an architectural masterpiece of "Mimar Sinan", the most famous architects of the Ottomans, whose tomb is located here.
The Sehzade Camii (Princes Mosque) was built in 1543-1548 to commemorate the deceased son of Suleiman the Magnificent. It was the first mosque of the famous architect Sinan. Joseph Sinan was born as a Christian in 1491 and was forcibly converted to a Muslim as a boy. Under Suleiman I he became the court master builder and designed over 130 mosques in the Ottoman Empire. His most famous work is the Selimiye Mosque in Edirne.
The construction of the Yeni Camii began in 1597 under Safiye, the mother of Mehmed III. Since Mehmed III died in 1603, the mosque was completed under Mehmed IV. The new mosque was inaugurated in 1663. The mosque includes a hospital, a madrasa and a public bath. The interior features blue-and-white Iznik faience from the Bursa region, inspired by Chinese porcelain. The magnificent Yeni Camii stands between the Galata Bridge and the Egyptian Bazaar.
The Misir Carsisi (Egyptian Bazaar) on the harbor next to Yeni Camii, has retained its oriental charm. There are large mountains of fragrant spices, traders offering Turkish delights and crowds of customers pusg through this magic historic setting.
The Galata Tower was built in 1349 as part of the town fortification of the Genoese traders who operated a trading post in Galata. The tower stands on a 48 m high hill and is 67 m high. From the viewing platform you have the most beautiful Istanbul panorama. The Galata Kulesi is therefore one of the top tourist attractions on the Bosphorus. The view on the Golden Horn is a highlight of every Istanbul tour.
The pedestrian zone in Beyoglu leads from Galata Tower to Taksim Square. On the lively shopping street is an old tram. Left and right of the street are shopping arcades, small markets, restaurants and cinemas.
The Girl's Tower was built as a lighthouse in the 18th century. The legend tells the story of a girl who lived here, because it was prophesied that she would be poisoned. To escape her fate she lived on this small Island, but was bitten by a snake, that came to the island in a fruit basket.
The neo-baroque Ortaköy Camii was built in 1856 by architect Balyan. Together with the Bosphorus Bridge in the background, it is one of the city's most popular photo opportunities. From the city center you can take the ferry directly to Ortaköy.
The Chora Church was built in 1321 by Theodorus Metochites, a theologian and senior official of Emperor Andronikos II. The interior of the church is decorated with magnificent golden mosaics.