The English were the first Northern Europeans to hibernate in Nice. The Promenade des Anglais was built around 1850 on the initiative of those Englishmen. The broad promenade along the beach is always busy.
The Oldtown of Nice, with its narrow streets and colorful houses, looks just like an Italian village. For a long period of time, Nice was a part of Italy. In 1860 Nice became french. Nice shops and restaurants are hidden in the small alleys of Vieille Ville.
The Cours Saleya is the largest square in the old town. During the day there is a very nice market with food, flowers and spices. In the evening the restaurants put their tables on the square and attract visitors with sumptuous seafood plates and food with fine fragrances.
The recently renovated Palace of Justice dominates the Place du Palais de Justice. On the beautiful square farmers markets and other events take place. If there are no festivities you can simply relax in a café.
This Russian Orthodox church was built in the park of Villa Bermond in 1903 at the request of the Russian Empress Maria Feodorovna. Her son Nicolas lived in the Villa Bermond and died here in 1864. It was built after the example of St. Basil's Cathedral on the Red Square in Moscow.
The neo-Gothic church is reminiscent of the cathedral "Notre Dame" in Paris. The church was built in 1868 by Lois Lenormand. The "Basilique Notre-Dame de Nice" is the largest church in the city and is located directly on the main shopping street.