The Town Hall of Rennes was built between 1734-1743 by the royal architect Jacques V Gabriel. Since 1840 several scientific faculties are located in the northern wing of the baroque ensemble. The clock tower "tour de l'Horloge" was rebuilt after it was destroyed by the great fire of 1720.
The first church was built here in the 6th century. That church was replaced by a Gothic church in the 12th century. In 1490 the west facade collapsed together with the bell tower. Between 1541 and 1678 the Cathedral Saint Pierre de Rennes built. The gray granite facade with Romanesque arches and classical double columns is unique. The interior follows Italian models.
The Great Fire of 1720 destroyed most wooden houses of Rennes, but in the "Rue du Chapitre" and in nearby streets like "Rue de la Psalette" some very beautiful half-timbered houses have survived the devastating Fire. In the "Rue Saint Guillaume" you can marvel at the former home of General Bertrand du Guesclin, with its ornate carvings.
The "Porte Mordelaise" is an ancient city gate which exists since the 3rd century. The current gate was built around 1418. The "Porte Mordelaise" was the main gate of the first city fortification. Later buildings have been complemented by a drawbridge and a Barbican. The gate was named after the city of "Mordelles" about 15 km away from Rennes.
The construction of the Neo-Gothic church began in 1884. The church built of the architect Jean Baptiste Martenot was inaugurated in 1904. Martenot was the municipal architect of the city of Rennes from 1858 until 1895.
The "Palais de Commerce" is also known as "Palais de Postes" it was completed in 1929. When was opened, Martenot's building was first used as a business centre for various companies. Today it is used as library and is home to the College of Art and Music.
The Place St Anne turned into the most beautiful place of Rennes, after the construction of the metro was completed in 2002. Half-timbered houses and many trees, give the place a very relaxed atmosphere.
The "Parliament of Brittany" was opened in 1655. The last meeting took place in 1789, since 1804 it is used as the appeal court. The building burned down after a fisherman's uprising in 1994 and was rebuilt until 1999.
The Rue Saint Michel is famous for it's half-timbered houses, but many of them are not renovated jet. This makes the street look a little bit shabby. But there are many cafés and student bars, it's a good place to party.
The Rue Saint Georges is a typical medieval street with old half-timbered houses in good condition. There are elegant shops in pretty houses.
The "Place Hoche" is located between the Eglise Saint Aubin and the Jardin des Plantes. The square regularly hosts food and craft markets. Food market Thursday from 15-20, arts and crafts market Saturday 10-18.
The Benedictine monastery of Saint Georges was founded in 1032. The "Palais Saint Georges" was built in 1670. The monastery was expropriated and has been in state possession since 1792. The city of Rennes uses the building today for communal purposes.