Plais Longchamps

The Palais Longchamp houses the Musée des Beaux-Arts and the Musée d'hisoire naturelle.  The historicist building complex was built in 1869 by Henri-Jacques Espérandieu. 

Porte d'Aix

The triumphal arch of Porte d'Aix was built after Roman models in 1839. The archway in honor of Louis XIV was started in 1784 but the project was postponed until 1839.

Notre Dame de la Garde

La Garde basilica was consecrated in 1864. Built on the 161 m high fortress hill, it can be seen from all over the city. It is a church of the sailors, in the sumptuous interior which is decorated with marble and gold, ship models are hanging from the ceiling. 

Chateau d'If

The fortress on the island If was built in 1531 to protect the port of Marseilles. Later the fortress served as a prison island. The island became famous by Alexandre Dumas novel "The Count of Monte-Cristo". 

Cathedrale de la Major

The "Cathedrale de la Major" was built between 1852-1896. The round arches and domes give the church a Neo-Romanesque-Byzantine look. The design of the cathedral was made by Henri-Jacques Espérandieu and Leon Vaudoyer. Espérandieu previously designed the church of Notre-Dame de la Garde

Vieux Port

The "Vieux Port" (old harbor) is the most beautiful place in Marseille. The pavement was renewed for the "European Capital of Culture" in 2013 and a reflecting pavilion was designed by Sir Norman Foster. From here the ships leave for the "Ile d'If". 

La Vieille Charite

La Vieille Charité (old hospital) was begun in 1671 as a poorhouse by architect Pierre Puget. The three-storey building consists of a U-shaped main building with arcades and a chapel in the courtyard. The Charité was completed in 1745. 

Palais de la Bourse

The Chamber of Commerce was founded in 1599 and is the oldest in France. In the middle of the nineteenth century, a new building was erected which seemed appropriate to the importance of Marseille. The "Palais de la Bourse" was opened in 1860. 

Hotel de Ville

The baroque city hall of Marseille is located directly on the northern harbor basin. It was built in 1673 by Gaspard Puget, the brother of Pierre Puget, architect of the "Vieille Charité". 

Gare Saint-Charles

The central train station of Marseille was built on a hill, the access from the city is via a generous stairway. The "Gare Saint-Charles" was built in 1848 with 16 tracks. 

Opera Municipal

The "Opera Municipal" was built in 1787 and burned down completely in 1919. The opera was rebuilt in 1924, but retained its neoclassical appearance. 

Carré Thiars

The "Carré Thiars" is the famous restaurant and bar area of Marseille. Around the small square you will find fancy restaurants. You can also try the Cours Honore d'Estienne d'Orves nearby. In summer time this is the heart of Marseille.

Les Docks

The 400 m long dock building was recently renovated and converted into office space. On the ground floor there are shops and restaurants. The four courtyards (photo) have all an individual design. 

To top

Map of sights in Marseille

ads

Marseille France

ads

ads