The cable-stayed bridge by Ben van Berkel (UN Studio) is 800 m long and was opened in 1996. The bridge was named after the humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam and connects downtown with the skyscraper district of "Kop van Zuid". The elegant bridge is also called "de zwaan" the swan.
As one of the few buildings in the city center, the City Hall of Rotterdam survived the bombardment in 1940. The "Stadthuis" was erected in 1920 by the architect Henri Evers and is a protected monument of Rotterdam since 1997.
The former post office was built between 1915-1922 by G. C. Bremer. The façade of the Art Déco building was clad with limestone, the figures were created by the sculptor Joop van Lunteren. Main attraction is the 22.5 m high counter hall.
The late-Gothic church was built between 1449 and 1525. After the bombing attack on Rotterdam in 1940, only the outer walls remained, the interior was completely destroyed by fire. The "Laurenskerk" was rebuilt and opened in 1959 by Queen Juliana. There is a museum in the church, where the story of the cathedral is told. The church does not only serve for worship services it can also be rented for events.
The Beurstraverse is an underground shopping arcade in east-west direction, passing under the main road Coolsingel. You can cross the north-south axis without waiting for traffic lights. The passage was opened in 1996.
Das 43 m hohe Witte Huis gilt als erstes Hochhaus Europas. Das zehnstöckige Haus wurde aus Stahl und Beton errichtet. Da der Untergrund von Rotterdam sehr weich ist wurden Pfähle ins Erdreich getrieben, um ein mögliches Absinken des Bauwerks zu verhindern. Architekt des 1898 errichteten Art Nouveau Gebäudes war Willem Molenbroek. Das Weiße Haus überstand den deutschen Bombenhagel von 1940 und gilt Nationales Monument der Niederlande (Rijksmonument).
The sculpture "De verwoeste Stad" by Ossip Zadkine is a landmark of Rotterdam. It commemorates the destruction of the city by the German Luftwaffe on 14 May 1940. After the attack on Rotterdam, the Netherlands surrendered. The historical center of the city was extinguished by the bombs.
The "Delfshaven" was named after the city of Delft. Albrecht I Duke of Holland gave the permission in 1389 to the city of Delft, to built a seaport. Delft is connected to the port via the river Schie. The town of Delfshaven became independent in 1825. In 1886 Delfshaven was incorporated to Rotterdam. Delfshaven is a major tourist spot of Rotterdam, because it still looks like a 17th century painting.
Are there windmills in Rotterdam? Yes, even more than you think. At Kralingse plas, a lake in the district of Kralingen are two very beautiful mills, which still operate (photo). There is also a windmill in Delfshaven and other historic windmills are located in the suburb of Schiedam.
The 550 m long "Maastunnel" was built between 1937 and 1942. Only the two ventilation buildings of the architects van der Bruggen and van der Steur can be seen above ground. Here you will find the accesses to the pedestrian and cycling tunnel.