The wooden drawbridge was built in 1671. It spans over the River "Amstel" and can be opened to allow larger ships to pass. The "Magere Brug" is illuminated at night and is one of the major attractions of Amsterdam. The bridge is situated in the south east of the inner city, close to the museum "Hermitage Amsterdam".
The pedestrian zone of "Kalverstraat" is the largest shopping street in Amsterdam and runs from the "Dam" to the "Munt Toren". The crowded street offers the tourist shops and international brand stores. The name of the street has the meaning of Calves Street.
The Zuiderkerk most the beautiful spire of the city. From Staalstraat you will have the best viewpoint to see the 80 m high tower. The first Protestant church in the Netherlands was built in 1611. Today the building is used as an information center of the city planning commission.
The "Munttoren" on the Singelgracht were formerly part of the fortifications and consisted of two towers erected in 1487. Both towers were destroyed by a fire in 1618. In 1620, one of the two towers was rebuilt and in 1650 was given a bell play, which is still in operation. In 1672 Amsterdam got the right for coining money, the name Munttoren means "Mint Gate". The building is one of the most beautiful towers of Amsterdam.
The "Koopmans Beurs" was built as stock exchange in 1903 and is a multifunctional exhibition hall today. The architect was Hendrik Berlage, who together with other architects founded the "Amsterdamse School" in 1911, a flow of modern architecture in Amsterdam. The building is also known as "Beurs van Berlage".
With 85 meters The "Westerkerk" has the tallest church tower of Amsterdam. The Protestant church was built in 1620 by Hendrick de Keyzer. On the top of the tower is the crown of Maximilian II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire he was a Roman Catholic. He stood for peace between Catholics and Protestants. The crown is therefore a symbol of tolerance.
The "Oude Kerk" (Old Church) was built as a small wooden church in the 13th century. In the 14th century, a new stone church was built, which was expanded over and over again in the following centuries. Through the large windows, the church looks bright from the inside.
The Saint Nicholas Basilica is a neo-renaissance church built in 1887. The architect of the Catholic church was Adrianus Bleijs, one of the few Catholic architects in the Netherlands.
Through the Dutch colonies in Asia, many Chinese, Indonesians, Vietnamese and Thai people came to Amsterdam. Many Asian restaurants and shops have settled around "Zeedijk" street. Here is also the Buddhist He Hua Temple, which belongs to the Taiwanese Fo Guang Shan. The Lotus temple was opened in 2000.
The "red light district" of Amsterdam is a mixture of party zone, with bachelor parties, sex shops, bars and prostitutes sitting in shop windows. Amsterdam tries to abolish the shop windows, but the prostitutes fight for the preservation. It can get crowded in the narrow streets in the evening.
On the Albert Cuypstraat you can find everything you need. Between Ferdinand Bolstraat and Van Woustraat everything is offered from Poffertjes, Stroopwafeln, Pannekoeken, T-Shirts, pants and even refrigerators. It is this mixture that makes up the charm of the "Albert Cuyp Market". Opening hours of the Albert Cuyp Market: Monday to Saturday 9 am-5pm, closed on Sundays.