The creation of Petit Julien of 60cm/2ft height was commissioned by the magistrate in 1619 and embodies the impudence of the natives of Brussels. The statue had been abducted many times but has always returned. About 600 garments that have been tailored for the little man are displayed at the Municipal Museum.
The square "Grande Place" was destroyed by the French in 1695 and then splendidly resconstructed. The Late Gothic city hall and the gorgeous guild houses make the Grande Place square one of the most beautiful piazzas in Europe.
Until the beginning of the 13th century a roman church was located at this site, which had to make way for the new cathedral. The construction of the new church in Early and Late Gothic style took until the end of the 15th century. Both steeples are 69m/226ft high.
The Jubilee Park was layed out in 1880, to celebrate the founding of Belgium fifty years ago. In the year 1905 the Triumphal Arc with the Quadriga and the Flag was constructed.
The Royal Palace was built in several construction phases on the remains of the old ducal castle, which burned down in 1731. The King lives at the Chateau Royal in Laeken and when he resides in the Royal Palace the Belgian Colours are hoisted on the roof.
The classicistic chapel royal with gables and columns built in 1785 dominates the Place Royale square.
The cathedral was built on sandy grounds in the 15th and 16th century. Situated inside, are the funerary chapel of the House of Thurn und Taxis, as well as the presentation of the miraculous Madonna of Antwerp whis was abducted and brought to Brussels.
The 104m/341ft high domed structure was completed in 1883 and was the largest monumental building of its time. In former times, the gallows of Brussels were located there. The square in front of the cathedral was named after the architect Poelaert, who died before the building was completed in 1879.
In celebration of Belgiums 75th jubilee King Leopold II commissioned to build this church. Constructions began in 1905 but it took until 1970 to complete the Art Nouveau building.
The stock exchange Bourse de Commerce was constructed in neo classicistic style by the architect Leon Suys in 1873. The numerous sculptures on the facade were created by Auguste Rodin.
The "European Commission" resides in the "Berlaymont Building" in the Brussels European District. Here are many European institutions. The building was opened in 1969 and bears the name of a former women's convent. The EU Commission is the government of the European Union.
Welcome to Brussels
Brussels is the capital of Belgium with about 1.1 million inhabitants. Brussels is also known as the capital of the European Union and the seat of the NATO. The city center is located in a basin, here is the old town with the famous "Grand Place" and the Royal Castle. The most famous sights are the "Manneken Pis" and the "Atomium".
The people in Brussels speak French and Flemish (Dutch). The Walloons speak French, the Flemish Dutch. In Brussels, the majority speaks French (about 80%).
Brussels is a city of foodies, as in France, great emphasis is placed on good food. In the "Petite Rue des Bouchers", one restaurant joins the next. However, the street is very touristy, if you really want to eat well, you should get a current restaurant guide.
Restaurants with 2 Michelin stars:
Le Chalet de la Forêt
Comme Chez Soi
Belgium is famous for French fries, waffles and chocolate. For these goodies there are small shops everywhere. Chocolatiers present their sweet creations in a very exclusive ambience. Belgian chocolate is world renowned because it uses the best ingredients and often drags the chocolate, which makes it softer. Among the most famous brands are Neuhaus, Godiva and Galler.
You can get the best French Fries in town at