After St. Peter in Rome and the cathedral of Florence, the Duomo Santa Maria Nascente is the third largest church in Italy. The foundation stone was laid in 1386 in 1813 the marble facade was completed. Take the lift to the roof of the cathedral and you will have a superb view over Milan.
The elegant shopping arcade was opened in 1867 by King Vittorio Emanuele II. The Galeries St. Hubert in Brussels served as a model for the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. The light-filled passage was built by architect Giuseppe Mengoni within two years. Under the 47 m high dome the mosaics show the cities of Milan, red cross on a white ground, the bull of Turin, the she-wolf of Rome and the lily of Florence. Some people believe it bring good luck if you stand on the bull of Turin and turn around onve, with the left heel on your own axis.
The fortress was built by "Galeazzo il Visconti" in 1368. Under Duke Filippo Sforza, the castle was extended to a palace. After Milan was ruled for many years by other European powers, the castle fell into ruins and was rebuilt as a museum in 1893.
The church was built by Bishop Ambrosius in 386, after reconstruction works in the 11th century it got its present appearance. The atrium in front of the church used to serve as a refuge for citizens, before the city wall included the church. The golden altar and the sarcophagus are the most famous objects of the church "St Ambrogio".
Directly on the pedestrian precinct is the neoclassical church of San Carlo. Its architect Carlo Amati obviously took the example of the Pantheon in Rome. San Carlo al Corso was completed in 1847.
The church of "San Lorenzo Maggiore" was built around 400 AD and is considered to be one of the oldest Christian central buildings. The church was rebuilt after the collapse of the dome in 1573. On the square in front of the church, stands a colonnade of Roman times and a statue of Emperor Constantine.
Carlo Maciachini built the monumental cemetery in 1866. The Milan Highsociety built magnificent monuments in the 19th century in honour of their families. The "Cimitero Monumentale" is one of the top sights in Milan.
The classical Porta Venezia was created in the course of the transformation of the former city fortifications. The gate was built in 1828 by Rodolfo Vantini. On Corso Venezia are many impressive city palaces, such as the Palazzo Rocca-Saporiti and the Palazzo Castiglioni.
The station "Milano Centrale" is a cathedral for traffic and progress. The station replaced an older station that could not keep up with the increased traffic through the Simplon tunnel (1906). The construction work on the new central station in Milan began in 1913 but was stopped by the First World War. After the takeover of power by Benito Mussolini in 1922, the design was converted to monumental. The architect Ulisse Stacchini designed a huge Art Nouveau building with fascist sculptures and quotations from other eras of architectural history. The main facade is 200 m long and 72 m high. The "Milan Central Station" was inaugurated in 1931 with 24 tracks.
Ulisse Stacchini also designed the San Siro Stadium in Milan.
In the 12th century, the Milan city wall was extended to protect the Basilica of San Lorenzo. The gate of the Porta Ticinese is the only surviving gate of the medieval city fortifications of Milan. At the Porta Nuova are still remains of an old city gate.
Under Spanish rule over Milan, another city wall was built in 1560 and the Porta Ticinese moved further south. The former city gate was replaced in 1814 by a neoclassical customs house by Luigi Cagnola.
The port basin "Darsena" was created in 1603 to provide a transshipment place for trading ships on the canals. For the Expo 2015 the dried out harbor basin was excavated and is now a popular recreation destination at the water.
The canals of the "Navigli" was built in 1177 and supplied Milan with goods from Upper Italy until 1930. The "Naviglio Grande" is one of the few, preserved canals and is today part of the most beautiful restaurant quarter of the city.