The Beatles are the figurehead of Liverpool and therefore "The Beatles Statue" is located just in front of the "Three Graces", the top sights of Liverpool. Between 1962 and 1970, the Beatles were the best-known band in the world and to this day one of the most successful bands of all time. After the dissolution of the Beatles in 1970, Paul McCartney and John Lennon also landed world hits as solo artists. The other two members of the Fab4 were Ringo Starr and George Harrison. The 4 guys from Liverpool performed in "Cavern Club" on Mathew Street. In their songs you can find places like "Strewberryfield's" and "Penny Lane" from Liverpool. The Beatles bus tours get fans to these and other places of the band's history. If you want to know more about the history of the Beatles, you can get a good overview in The Beatles Story Museum. The famous zebra crossing in front of the Abbey Road Studio, however, is located in London.
The "Port of Liverpool Building", completed in 1907, is one of the "Three Graces", which includes the "Royal Liver Building" and the "Cunard Building". The Port of Liverpool Building, with its central dome and four corner towers, looks more like a Parliament building. The building shows the power that the port administration had at that time. The structure was built by the architects Sir Arnold Thornley and Frederick Brice Hobbs with historical Baroque and Classicist elements. UNESCO declared the ensemble a World Heritage Site in 2004. In 1994, the "Port of Liverpool Building" was abandoned by the Port Authority and has since been leased as an office building to various companies.
The insurance company "Royal Liver Assurance" built the 90 m high building in 1911. Until 1932 it was the highest office building in Europe. On the domes stand the "Liverbirds", the fabulous creatures and landmarks of the city of Liverpool. The "Royal Liver Building" is located directly at the harbor and forms a beautiful ensemble with the "Port of Liverpool Building". The architect Walter Aubrey Thomas also designed the Tower Buildings just behind the "Liver Building".
The "Cunard Building" is also one of the "Three Graces" of Liverpool, but is rather modest compared to the other two buildings, both in terms of height and architecture. It was created during the First World War between 1914-1917. Maybe that made it less pompous than the Royal Liver Building or the Port of Liverpool Building. The former administrative building of the Cunard Line was built by the architects Willink and Coldwell Thicknesse. Today, the neo-Renaissance building is home of the British Music Experiment.
In 1762 the "George Dock" was built, it served as harbor basin until it was filled in 1874. Now the "Three Graces" of Liverpool stand at this site. The "Georges Dock Building" was built in 1934 as a ventilation shaft for the Queensway Birkenhead Tunnel. With a lenght of more than 3 kilometers, it was by then the longest underwater tunnel in the world. The "George's Dock Ventilation and Control Station" was designed by architect Herbert James Rowse in Art Deco style. Don't miss the facade relief above the main entrance "Speed- the Modern Mercury" by Edward Charles Thompson.
The Albert Dock was the first warehouse complex in England, whose supporting parts were made of cast iron. Today, the docks of 1846 are home to museums and shops. The Albert Docks houses an outpost of the famous Tate Gallery of Liverpool, the Merseyside Maritime Museum and The Beatles Story.
The "Albion House" is called by the Liverpudlians just "Streaky Beacon Building". Indeed, with its horizontal stratification of white and red bricks, it reminds of the Vleeshuis (butcher's House) of the Butcher Guild of Antwerp. The building originally served as the "White Star Line" headquarters. The shipping company owned the "Titanic" and after the sinking of the luxury liner in 1912, the 1504 dead of the maiden voyage were read from the balcony of "Albion House". Today, the themed hotel "RMS Titanc" is located here, with rooms in Titanic design.
The Town Hall of Liverpool was built in 1754 by John Wood. After a fire in 1795, the town hall had to be rebuilt, along the way the dome of James Wyatt was added. Later additions were removed, so the town hall stands elegant in the axis of Caslte Street. It is one of the few preserved town halls from the Georgian era in classical architecture.
Church Street and the adjoining Lord Street are the main shopping streets of Liverpool. In the wide pedestrian zone there are big department stores and international fashion chains. If you go east on Church Street, you end up on Bold Street. Bold Street is a very nice shopping street with interesting shops and small restaurants.
Mathew Street became world famous for the Beatles. The famous "Cavern Club" was in a basement at number 10, where the Beatles performed regularly. The later pop singer Cilla Black, who is now eternalized as a sculpture on Mathew Street, worked in the wardrobe of the club. The Beatles performed 292 times in the "Cavern Club". The house of the club was demolished in 1973. Today there are several "Cavern Clubs" on Mathew Street and also a "Lennon's Bar". The street is still there but not much of the Beatles survived.
St George's Hall is Liverpool's best-known concert and event venue. The Classicist building was opened in 1851. The architects Harvey Lonsdale Elmes and Sir Charles Cockerell built an extraordinary structure with a concert hall for 500 visitors. Harvey Lonsdale Elmes won the design competition at the age of 25 but died of tuberculosis during the construction of St George's Hall. Sir Charles Cockerell took over the project in 1851. He designed the sumptuous decorations in the interior. With the decline of the port of Liverpool after the Second World War, also decayed the St George's Hall. St George's Hall was renovated in 2007. On a guided tour you can explore the magnificent building.
The Chinatown of Liverpool is not right in the center but close to the cathedral and the university district. It is considered the oldest Chinese settlement in Europe. From 1860, the first Chinese immigrants came to Liverpool. In 1843, Hong Kong was occupied by the British, and the two Opium Wars forced China to buy opium from the British. A very inglorious chapter of British colonial history. But through the forced trade through the Nanjing treaties, goods and people exchanged. Liverpool traded with Hong Kong and Shanghai, sourced silk and tea from China. The Liverpool Chinatown has Chinese restaurants, supermarkets and other businesses related to China.
Saint Luke's Church was inaugurated in 1832, it was designed by architect John Foster in neo-Gotic style. Today the church is better known as "Bombed Out Church". The German Air Force attacked Liverpool in 1941 and destroyed many buildings in the city. Including the "Saint Luke's Church", that burned down after the bombing. The church was not rebuilt and so it stands as a ruin and monument of the "Liverpool Blitz".
The "Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King" was built for the Irish Catholics who flocked to Liverpool in 1845 after the "Great Famine". The church was built on a circular floor plan and rises to a crown towards the sky. The modern cathedral was designed by Sir Frederick Gibbert and inaugurated in 1967.
The "Concert Square" is a place in the middle of the nightlife district between Bold Street and Duke Street. In summer, the whole square is full of people sitting in the sun and diligently screw up their alcohol level. The "Concert Square" is more like an open-air party location than a place to have a cup of tea.
The largest Anglican cathedral in the world looks like it has been standing here for a thousand years. But the constructionstarted in 1904. The Gothic-style building is the work of the architect Giles Gilbert Scott, who won the architecture competition as a 23-year-old student and also got commissioned with the building of the cathedral. The "Cathedral of Liverpool" was completed in 1978. It's a huge structure that looks just like a normal English medieval church, only much, much bigger. However, the true dimension is only recognizable in the interior. The 100m high tower can be climbed and as the cathedral stands on top of a hill it offers a magnificent view on Liverpool and the River Mersey. Architect Giles Gilbert Scott also designed the red telephone booths that became the landmark of England and the "Battersea Power Station" in London.