The "Gallerie dell' Accademia" houses the great masterpieces of Venetian painting, with pictures of Tizian, Bellini, Canaletto and many other famous artists. The paintings show Venice at the time when the city dominated the trade in Europe. The museum is located right at the "Grand Canal".
The splendid palace was built by the Doge Giovanni Pesaro directly at the Grand Canal. In 1710 about 50 years after the Doge's death, the building was completed. Today, the Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna shows works by Chagall, Klimt, Klee and other modern artists in the Ca' Pesaro.
The name "Ca d'Oro" means "Golden House". In the Middle Ages, the house was painted blue and the stonework was gilded. The building was completed in 1442. The house was purchased by Giorgio Franchetti in 1895. After he died the "Ca d'Oro" and his art collection where handed over to the the state.
The most famous artists of the modern period, like Chagall, Picasso, Calder and Kandinsky, can be admired in this wonderful palace of "Peggy Guggenheim". The daughter of the industrial tycoon "Benjamin Guggenheim" was an art collector and gallery owner. She died 1979 in Italy.
The Instituto Veneto di Science Lettere ed Arti (Institute of Science, Culture and Art) was founded in 1810. , Since 1999 the institute resides in the Palazzo Francetti at the Grand Canal, where interesting exhibitions are organized.
The French entrepreneur François Pinault bought the "Palazzo Grassi" and the "Punta della Dogana". There he created a great museum to show his extensive collection of contemporary art. There are also temporary exhibitions at the "Palazzo Grassi".
The Brotherhood of St. Rocco of Montpellier was a very rich order, which built this magnificent palace in 1517. The facade was remodeled in 1771 by Macaruzzi. There are many paintings in the halls. The Sala terrena, for example, was decorated with pictures by Jacopo Tintoretto.