The mosque was built from 784 onwards, on the ruines of the church that was destroyed by the invading Muslims. Until 987 the mosque had been extended several times. After the reconquest in 1236, the building was inaugurated as cathedral of Cordoba. Today the "Mezquita" building is both, a mosque and a cathedral.
The "Puerta de Almodóvar" is one of two medieval city gates still preserved. The city gate was the entrance from the west. Behind the wall, which was also preserved, is the "Jewish Quarter" of Cordoba. In the Moorish times there was also a gate at this place, called "Bab al-Chawz". The "Puerta de Almodóvar" was built in the 14th century under the rule of the "Reyes Christianos". The Christian kings liberated Spain from the Muslim occupation.
The Old Jewish Street "La Juderia" is one of the most beautiful districts of Cordoba. Typical are the whitewashed houses with quiet courtyards and iron balconies. Many small shops offer local goods and restaurants invite to a cosy rest.
The Romans spread in southern Iberia from the 2nd century BC and founded the city of "Cordova". The ruins of a roman Temle with impressive Corinthian columns remained. The Temple was built in the 1st century AD.
The well-preserved "Posada del Potro" is a model for housing in the 14th century. The apartments are grouped around a common courtyard, with a fountain in the middle. On the ground floor there have been workshops, with the apartments above.
The architect Antonio Ramos designed the square in the 17th century, based on the example of the "Plaza Mayor" in his hometown of Salamanca. This type of square design, with uniform facades, is typical for Castile and is rather untypical for Andalusia.
On the main shopping street of Cordoba, the "Calle José Cruz Conde", you will find the most magnificent commercial buildings in town, from the beginning of the 20th century. North of the "Plaza de Tendillas", the streets are getting wider and you will leave the narrow streets of the old town. This is where the modern Cordoba begins with elegant shops and department stores.
In 936 the "Caliph of Cordoba" had built this palace for his lady "az-Zahara". From 945 on, the palace was the seat of government of "al-Andalus". In 1031 the caliphat collapsed and in 1236 the Moors were defeated by Fernando III and the palace was abandoned. But the ruins are still very impressive.