"Queen Street" is the main shopping street in the center of Brisbane. The pedestrian zone is partly covered to protect visitors from rain and sunlight. The pedestrian area is located between George Street and Edward Street. On the "Queen Street" you will find large department stores and shopping malls.
The neo-gothic cathedral of St Stephens was built in 1874. The Catholic cathedral was designed by English architect Benjamin Backhouse. The church was built on a cross-shaped layout, the main façade is oriented towards north-west. The stone façade is dominated by a large gothic window and two small towers.
The City Hall of Brisbane was opened after a ten-year construction period in 1930. The architects Thomas Ramsay Hall and his partner George Gray Prentice designed a neoclassical building with elements of Italian Renaissance. The 91m high tower is reminiscent of the Campanile di San Marco in Venice. There is a observation platform on top of the tower. The building is used as Town Hall and Museum of Brisbane. There is is also a concert hall for 2,500 visitors.
The "Albert Street Church" was opened in 1889. The Neo-Gothic church was designed by the architect George Henry Male Addison. Queensland's "Wessley Mission" church is located right at the "King George Square" in the center of Brisbane. The small church looks tiny next to the huge high-rise buildings of the Brisbane Central Business District.
In every Australian city, there is an "ANZAC Memorial". It is a reminiscent of the fallen soldiers of the "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps". The "ANZAC Memorial" in Brisbane is a rotunda of Doric columns with an eternal flame in the center. The ANZAC Square is a small park with rare "boabab trees".
The "General Post Office" of Brisbane was opened in 1879. Before the neoclassical building was erected, the women's prison was at this place. The building was extended to Elizabeth Street in 1908. In the building, there is an open passage connecting Queen Street with Elizabeth Street.
"The Mansions" are Victorian terraced houses from the early days of the British colony of Queensland. They were built in 1889 by George Henry Male Addison, who had also planned the "Albert Street Church". The open arcades provide shade and let air circulate.
From the cliffs at "Kangaroo Point" you have the most beautiful view on the skyline of Brisbane. The high-rise buildings are growing ever higher each year. The currently tallest building is the "Infinity Tower" with a height of 248.7 m.
The district "Fortitude Valley" is located about 1.5 km north-east of the city center and can be reached by urban train from the Central Station. The Valley is the "student district" of Brisbane with many bars, restaurants and theaters. There are also nightclubs, art galleries and small designer shops. Center of Fortitude Valley is the Brunswick Street.
In Fortitude Valley is also the "Chinatown" of Brisbane. At the corner of Wickham / Duncan Street stands a Chinese gate with red columns and lion figures. Duncan Street is a pedestrian zone with Chinese restaurants and shops. There are many Asian restaurants from Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and Japan in the adjacent streets.
The Bordwalk on the south bank of the Brisbane River was transformed into a park with many attractions, after the World Expo of 1988. There is a Big Ferris Wheel, the "Nepali Peace Pagoda", gardens, a stage, many restaurants, a "Beergarden" and an artificial lagoon with sandy beaches and palm trees. The pool is officially called "Streets Lagoon", after the sponsor, an ice cream maker. The entrance is free of charge.