The Guadalajara Cathedral was erected in 1618 on the remains of an older predecessors. After the earthquake of 1818, the towers and the dome collapsed. The next cathedral was again destroyed by an earthquake in 1849. The present "Basilica de Guadalajara" was built in 1854.
The "Plaza de Armas" is the main square of Guadalajara, here you will find the famous "Palacio de Gobierno". There is a beautiful pavilion made of cast iron, in the middle of the square. The place still exudes the colonial atmosphere of "Nueva Espana".
The building complex with 23 courtyards is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997. What makes the former hospital so special is the size of the "Instituto Cultural de Cabañas", the number of patios and the exceptional ceiling paintings by José Clemente Orozco.
This is where the famous mariachi music comes frome. Men's combo in colorful suits with huge sombreros who playfully pull the guitar, violin and trumpet through the streets. Mexico like in a picture book.
The Renaissance-style "Palacio de Gobierno" was built in 1744. The Building is famous for its impressive mural by José Clemente Orozco in the stairway. The painting of 1937 shows the revolutionary "Miguel Hidalgo" with a torch in his hand as a fighter for the people and freedom.
Governor Santos Degollado laid the foundation stone for the theater in 1856. After he was killed in 1861 at the Battle of Llanos de Salazar, the classicist building was named after him. In 1866 the building was officially opened with an opera.
In the historic center of Guadalajara, there are only a few good modern buildings. An exception is the Tapatia Square on Paseo Hospicio, which is the spacious pedestrian zone between the Cathedral and the Instituto Cultural de Cabañas.
In the big market hall San Juan de Dios, there is hustle and bustle. Fruits and vegetables are sold, but also a lot of colorful stuff like sombreros, plastic flowers and clothes. It's still fun to rummage around here, it's so pretty messy.