Until the Persecution of Jews in 1349, when more than 500 Jews were burned, this was the location of the synagogue and the Jewish Quarter. In the same year, Emperor Karl IV started to construct the Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady). In 1358 the Frauenkirche was consecrated and served as imperial church.
The "Beautiful Fountain" was built in 1396. Like a Gothic spire, the fountain reaches up in the sky 19 meters. The original Schöner Brunnen is shown in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg. The fountain on Hauptmarkt is only a copy built in 1903. Who is turning the brass ring of the grid, while thinking about something beautiful, her/his wishes should be fulfilled. (no warranty)
The construction of the Gothic "St. Lawrence Church" began in the middle of the 13th century. Laurentius is the patron of all professions connected to fire, as he was grilled as a martyr on a grating. The church was heavily damaged during WW2 and rebuilt from 1949 onwards.
The "Weißgerbergasse" is a curved street with lots of half-timbered houses. The "Weißgerbergasse" is regarded as the most beautiful street in Nuremberg. Here you will also find many restaurants and bars. "Weißgerbergasse" can be translated as street of the whittawers.
The "Spittlertorturm" was built with the construction of the city wall around 1400. Four towers were erected at the four corner points of the wall. The four towers were expanded in 1564 and got their massive shape.
The "Königstor" Kings Gate of the city wall, is the main entrance to the old town of Nuremberg. Next to the "Königstor" stands the "Frauentorturm" Womans-gate-tower, which was built together with the "Spittler Turm". There is a handicraft market at the citywall, near the "Königstor".
The Protestant Church of Sebaldus houses the tomb of Sebaldus, the city saint. He was a hermit in Franconia and was revered as a saint. Another feature of the church, built in 1273, are the two choirs in the east and the west of the church.
Hidden on the edge of the old town, there is a technical sensations of Germany. The "Kettensteg" is the oldest free-standing suspension bridge in Germany, built by Conrad Georg Kupper in 1824. The 68 m long pedestrian trail, spans over the river Pegnitz. On the north bank, there is the cozy beer garden "Kettensteg".
When the city wall became superfluous by the construction of the New City Wall around 1400, the executioner moved into the former watchtower. The bridge over the Pegnitz that leads to the hangmans tower was called "Henkersteg" (Henker = Hangman). The covered wooden bridge was reconstructed in 1954.
Albert Speer and Ruff projected the "Congress hall" for 50,000 visitors on the "Reichsparteitagsgelaende". The huge hall for NSDAP events was started in 1935, but never completed.
Albert Speer designed the Zeppelinfeld for Nazi mass meetings. Searchlights were directed in the sky, to create a spectacular "Lichtdom" dome of light. Adolf Hitler watched the gigantic parade from the grandstand.