The Brühl´s Terrace were layed out by Count Heinrich von Brühl in 1750. The stairways were added later by the Prince of Repnin-Wolkonski. Originally, the stairways were a part of the city fortification which was constructed in the 16th century.
The baroque Royal Chapel which was completed in 1755, burned out during the 1945 night of bombing, the 85m/278ft high steeple withstood the war undamaged. The catholic cathedral was commissioned by Friedrich August II of Saxony.
The Altstädter Wache guardhouse in style of an ionic temple was designed by the famous Berlin architect Friedrich Schinkel, why it is well known as Schinkelwache. The guardhouse was destroyed in 1945 and rebuilt until 1956 and is now used as a theater box office.
Near the end of the 13th century a castle complex came to existence which was continuously expanded during the following centuries. The palace served as the Saxonian King´s residence. In World War II the building burned down and its reconstruction began 1990.
Inside the Residenzschloss 22 round arches form the Stable Yard Arcades at the Langer Gang walkway. Prince Elector Christian I had erect the arcades in 1588 as a venue for horse shows. The two target columns are reminiscent of these tournaments. Situated on the outer walls of the arcades is the Fürstenzug Mural.
The procession of Princes with a length of 102m/334ft made from Meissen porcelain tiles was created by the Meissen porcelain manufacture in 1907. Already in the Renaissance murals were painted on the walls here. The Fürstenzug mural depicts the Margraves, Dukes, Princes and Kings of Saxony who reigned until 1904.
This impressive baroque church was created by the architect George Bähr between 1722 and 1743. During the firestorms of the allied bombing raids in 1945 the church was destroyed and the heap of ruins remained in the center of the city until the GDR came to an end. After the German reunification the citizens of Dresden raised money for the reconstruction and the church with its unique cupola could be completed and reconsecrated in 2005.
The crossing Alaunstrasse/Louisenstrasse in the Neustadt (New City), is Dresden´s alternative center. Here, subcultures can unfold and develop and little private run shops offer their goods in a relaxed atmosphere. A nice contrast to the baroque Inner City.
The former "Salem" brand cigarette factory is used today as an office building and houses a panorama restaurant. The 62m/203ft high building was constructed by architect Martin Hammitzsch in 1909. The cupola and the chimney in shape of a minaret reminds of the Al-Ashraf Barsbey Mosk in Cairo. Yenidze is a tobacco growing area in Turkey.
The Mansion was built for Prince Albrecht of Prussia in 1854 by Adolf Lohse, a student of Schinkel. The Prince, a brother of Kaiser Wilhelm I, married an untitled court lady and since then became a persona non grata at the Court in Potsdam. Along with the Lingner Schloss and the Eckberg, Albrechtsberg appertains to the three Elbe River Mansions.
The mansion was erected in the English Tudor Style for the British businessman Johann Daniel Souchay. From 1925 on, Schloss Eckberg was owned by the industrialist Mayenburg, until the Family was disseized of their possessions by the Socialist Party in 1952.
The funicular railway departing from Körnerplatz Square up to the Weisser Hirsch district was opened in 1895. The single track route of 547m/1794ft length overcomes an altitude difference of 95m/311ft. The steam powered carts were replaced by electric ones in the year 1906.
The 274m/898ft long suspension railway connects Loschwitz with the Oberloschwitz district situated 84m/275ft higher. The railway of 14m/45ft height was opened in 1901, two months after the Wuppertal Suspension Railway.
The steel framework bridge across the Elbe River was completed in 1893 and is called "the Blue Miracle" by the Dresdeners due to its light blue coating. The bridges clear span amounts to 141m/462ft.
The "Weisse Flotte" (White Fleet) steamboats of the Saxonian Steamship Company (Sächsische Dampfschifffahrt) navigate the Elbe River between Seußlitz near Meissen and Bad Schandau close to the Czech border. The company was established in 1837 and navigates the Elbe River with historic paddlesteamers.