The Renaissance town hall was built in 1556 by Hieronymus Lotter, the mayor of Leipzig an building contractor. The building was designed by architect Paul Speck. The baroque copper dome was added later. Inside there is a ballroom and the council chamber.
In 1678 the merchants of Leipzig merged to built a trading hall. The Alte Handelsbörse (old exchange building) was completed in 1687. The early Baroque building is now used as a prestigious event hall.
The legendary "Auerbachs Keller" was first mentioned in 1438. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe studied in Leipzig and was a frequent guest in "Auerbachs Cellar". He made the place world famous with his "Faust". At the entrance you can see the statues of "Mephisto and Doctor Faustus" made by the sculptor Mathien Molitor. "Auerbachs Keller" is one of the top sights of Leipzig.
Construction of the evangelical "Nikolai Church" started in 1165. The beginnings were Romanesque, from the 15th century on, the church was built in late Gothic style. In 1989 the "Mondays demonstrations" were launched here, which led to the end of the German Democratic Republic (GDR).
The "KarLi" is the urban heart of the Leipzig. There are countless cafes and restaurants in beautiful houses from the Wilhelminian era. Although much renovation was done, the neighborhood has remained its charm.
The "Buntgarnwerke" (Woolfactory) was founded in 1887. The representative "Hochbau West" was built in 1887. The "VEB Buntgarnwerke" was shut down in 1990. Today, high-quality loft apartments and offices are located in the beautiful brick buildings at the river.
Because the exhibition halls in the historic center became too small, a new fair ground was built in 1913. In 1965, the shiny double M was created as trademark of the "Messe Leipzig". In 1996, the fair moved again to a new site in the north of the city. The old fairground buildings "Alte Messe" of socialist times are used for new purposes.
The "Gohliser Schlösschen" in the Leipzig district of Gohlis-Süd was erected as a summer palace by the merchant Johann Caspar Richter. Due to the "Seven Years War" the palace was not finished until 1780. Since the builder died in 1770, he could not use the building himself. In 1793 the palace was transferred to the city of Leipzig.
The Russian memorial church was erected by the Orthodox community of Leipzig in 1913, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the "Battle of the Nations". There were 130,000 Russians fighting against the army of Napoleon. 22,000 Russian soldiers were killed at the battle. Inside the church there is a 18 m high wall covered with orthodox icons.