The special thing about the Senftenberg fortress (Festung) is, that the earth ramparts of the former citadel are still preserved. To get to the castle, you have to go through the vault of the citadel. The fortress was built in the 12th century and served military purposes until 1764.
The "IBA Landmark" is made of 111 t Cortensteel and surpasses the "Sorno Canal", which connects the Geierswalder Lake with Lake Sedlitz. The two former open pit mines form a lake district with other flooded pits. Due to the rusty appearance, the landmark is also called "Rostiger Nagel" (rusty nail). The building was created in 2008 as part of the "International Building Exposition IBA Fürst-Pückler-Land". The designer of the steel sculpture was the Munich based architect Stefan Giers. The stairs leads to the viewing platform at a height of 30 m. The "Landmarke" is a bit off the beaten track and can be reached by bicycle or by car from the "Dorfstraße" in Kleinkoschen, a suburb of Senftenberg.
The castle in Bad Muskau is located in a spacious park, created by Hermann Fürst von Pückler-Muskau. Since there are two castles in the park, a distinction is made between the old and the new castle. Both castles stand at the lake. The Old Castle is smaller and more oriented towards the city. The New Palace (photo) is a magnificent neo-Renaissance building opening out to the park. The new castle was built on the foundation walls of a water castle. After considerable war damage, the New Castle was renovated from 1990 onwards.
The "IBA Terraces" were erected in 2004 as an information center for "IBA Fürst-Pückler-Land". On the slopes of a former open pit mine, the Frankfurter based architect Ferdinand Heide designed a 270 m long terrace of exposed concrete, with 3 pavilion like buildings.
The "Biotürme" were part of the brown coal high temperature coke plant of Lauchhammer and served as sewage purification plant. The six 22 m high towers were built in 1952 and taken out of operation in 2002. The "Biotürme" are a unique industrial monument. There is a viewing platform in one of the towers.
Bismarck towers were erected in many cities in honor of the "Reichs" Chancellor "Otto von Bismarck". He is the founder of the "German Reich". By founding the parliamentary monarchy of the "Reich" he ended the democracy of the "Frankfurt Parliament" and the unity with Austria. The "German Empire" led to the first World War. The "Bismarck tower" in Burg (Spreewald) was erected in 1917 by the Berlin architect Bruno Möhring.
The castle in Lübben (Spreewald) goes back to a medieval water castle. The present castle or "Oberamtshaus" was built in 1682 in the late-Renaissance style. Other parts of the castle like the tower are of older origin. In the castle there is a museum and a café with a terrace to the castle island. The castle island is a nice park surrounded by canals.
The Slavic tribe of the "Lusizi" built about 50 castles south of the river "Spree". One of these castles was reconstructed in Raddusch. The castles were built of wood and filled with sand and soil. Around the castle there was a moat, the settlement was in front of the castle. The Slavic Castles were built between 800 and 900 AD.
The airship hall was built for the "CargoLifter" in the year 2000 and is 360 m long, 210 m wide and 107 m high. After the insolvency of the company in 2002, a recreational park with lagoons and tropical ambience was created under the huge dome.