The former power plant was converted into an Art temple sponsored by the bank "la Caxia" in 2008. The Swiss architects of Herzog & de Meuron built a core that touches the ground, while the rest of the structure hovers over the square. The historic building with red brick walls is topped by a roof made of COR-TEN steel. On Paseo del Prado there is an vertical garden crated by Patrick Blanc.
The extension of the Prado Museum was opened in 2008. The Spanish architect Rafael Moneo connected the famous museum with the monastery of San Jeronimo behind it by an underground entrance. Next to the monastery is a red brick building (photo). In this building is the cloister of the monastery, covered by a glass roof.
The Terminal 4 at Barajas Airport by Richard Rogers Partnership was opened in 2006. The New Terminal Area (NAT) consists of a terminal and a satellite with a total area of 1.2 million square meters. The capacity is calculated for 70 million passengers a year.
The residential building of MVRDV architects was completed in 2005. In contrast to the surrounding residential building blocks with closed patio, the house is extroverted and offers a garden with a view (Mirador) at a hight of 40 m. The access routes are visible as orange elements.
The American architects Philip Johnson & John Burgee created the two oblique towers on the Plaza de Castilla in 1996. The 114 m high office towers are inclined by 15 degrees.
The "Faro de Moncloa" is a 100 m high TV tower opened in 1992. The architect of the eccentric tower was Salvador Pérez Arroyo. In 2005, the high-rise building of "Torre Windsor" on the famous "Paseo de la Castellana" partially collapsed by a fire. Then all the towers of Madrid were tested for their fire protection and the stairwell of the "Faro de Moncloa" had to be widened. In 2015 the observation platform was reopened.
The residential tower of Francisco Javier de Saénz Oiza, is one of the finest examples of "Brutalism". The 72 m high building was constructed between 1964-68 and is still in its original condition. What are the main features of brutalist buildings? Unusual shape, rough unfinished surface, heavy-looking Materials, massiv forms created by a low portion of windows.
The 142 m high "Torre de Madrid" was completed in 1959. The residential building by architect Julián Otamendi Machimbarrena was the tallest building in Madrid until 1982. In 2005, the "Torre de Madrid" was sold together with the "Edificio España". The "Torre de Madrid" will be redeveloped and the condominiums will be sold for a high price with a great view.
The architects Francisco de Asis Cabrero and Rafael de Aburto built the "Casa Sindical" in 1949. The building was renamed by Franco, in "Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo". The very elegant and clear form, together with the gray base and the red bricks, make the building look warm, despite all the dictatorial rigor of the Franco regime. The "Casa Sindical" stands vis-á-vis to the famous "Prado" museum.
Julián and Joaquin Otamendi Machimbarrena designed this monumental building like a reminiscent of Stalinist buildings in Moscow in 1948. The 117 m high "Edificio España" was the tallest building in the city until the construction of the "Torre de Madrid". The "Edificio España" was completed in 1953. On the roof there was a swimming pool, the rest of the tower was used as a hotel, office and residential building.
The entrepreneur Enrique Carrión commissioned the two architects Luis Martinez-Feduchi and Vicente Eced y Eced to build the apartment house on the "Gran Via". The Art Deco building, also known as "Capitol", was built between 1931 and 1933. The inscription sign for the "Capitol" cinema on the ground floor was used to be at the top of the building.
regiopia architecture guides