The 127 m high main administration of RWE AG was completed in 1997. The architects of Ingenhoven Overdiek Kahlen & Partner planned a double facade, which allows a natural ventilation of the office floors. The RWE Tower has 30 floors and 56.000 m² of floor space.
The new headquarters of "ThyssenKrupp" was built on the old factory grounds called the "Krupp belt" in Essen. The building was completed in 2010. It was designed in a cooperation of JSWD architcts from Cologne with Chaix & Morel architects from Paris.
The building planned by SANAA Architects was completed in 2006 and houses the Design School Essen / Folkwang University of the Arts. The facade made of exposed concrete has active thermal insulation from pipes through which warm pit water flows. As a result, the facade is heated and not insulated. The interior is also made of exposed concrete and is determined by the irregular window openings. There are 3 large atriums on the roof. The cube-shaped structure of the Japanese architects stands on a meadow in front of the Zeche Zollverein.
Weitere Gebäude von SANAA:
The new Essen Town Hall was built 1975-1979 by architect Theodor Seifert. The 22-storey high-rise is 106 m high and was by then the tallest building in Essen. The new town hall replaced the old town hall of 1888, which was damaged during World War 2 and had to be demolished in 1964. The new town hall was not built on the site of the old town hall at the Fachsmarkt. The modernist building with a facade of steel and glass is supported by a construction of reinforced concrete.
Margarethe Krupp donated the residential settlement in 1906 to the wedding of her daughter Bertha. The "Margarethenhöhe" is together with "Hellerau" near Dresden, the first German Garden City to be built according to the "Garden City" concept of the Englishman "Ebenezer Howard" from 1898. The architect Georg Metzendorf created a romantic little town idyll with many beautiful details. The "Margarethenhöhe" consists of 935 buildings, which were built between 1910-1929. At the "Kleiner Markt" square there are shops and a hotel.
The former West LB was built in 1978 by architect Harald Deilmann. The listed building was renovated between 2011 and 2014 by Eller + Eller architects from Duesseldorf. The original shape was preserved. The main feature is the horizontal alignment of the floors, which is interrupted by vertical building service towers. The characteristic mirror glass windows were custom made for this building.
After the former building of the "Dortmund Union Brewery" was cleared in 1994, the city of Dortmund took over the site. The 70 m high tower built in 1929 was converted into a center for arts and creativity by Gerber architects in 2010. On the roof top there is a viewing platform with a bar.
A new synagogue was built for the 1,000 members of the Jewish community in Bochum in 2007. The old synagogue, near the railway station, was destroyed by the Nazis in 1938. The "New Synagogue" consists of a cloister decorated with the star of David and flat secondary buildings. The new building of Peter Schmitz architects from Cologne was build for € 7 million. A Yiddish restaurant called "Matzen" is also integrated into the building complex.
In addition to the German Mining Museum, an extension was built in 2009. The black cube of Benthem Crouwel Architects from Rotterdam is connected to the old building by two bridges. At night, the stairs house, which is directly on the façade, shines orange. The new building is also called "black diamond".
Buildings by Benthem Crowel:
regiopia architecture guides