The art collectors Anette and Udo Brandhorst bequeathed their collection to the city of Munich, which in return committed to build and operate a building. This new art museum was built for the Brandhorst Collection in 2009. The Berlin architects Sauerbruch and Hutton designed the three-storey exhibition hall. The building consists of a long, two-story building on Türkenstrasse and a three-story building on Theresienstrasse. The entrance is in a glass hall at the intersection of the two streets.
What is special about the Museum Brandhorst is the facade made of polychrome ceramic rods. The three-dimensional facade consists of colored metal plates, which cover the thermal insulation and the glazed ceramic rods, which were composed of the colors green, blue and red in the lower part of the building. Lighter shades are used in the upper part of the facade, which shimmer more yellowish from a distance.
The interiors are painted white and are partially illuminated by skylights with textile ceilings that evenly distribute daylight. The floors and stairs are made of Danish oak.
The architectural office of Georg Scheelwetzel won the design competition in 2009. for. The white cube of the "NS-Documentation Center" was opened in 2015. The cub like building is situated between two Nazi buildings, the "Führerbau" and the "NSDAP HQ". (at the end of this List)
The "Joseph Pschorr Haus" is located directly on "Neuhauser Straße", the main shopping street of Munich. Therefore, the building was designed for retail areas. However, 25 exclusive apartments were built on the top floors. The building of Kühn Malvezzi architects was opened in 2014.
The "Lenbachhaus" was built in 1891 by Gabriel von Seidel, as studio and residence for the painter "Franz von Lenbach". In 1926 the house was redesigned to become a Municipal Art Gallery. The expansion and reorganization of the entrance area, was built by Foster + Partners in 2012.
The "Media Bridge" of Seidle Architekten was opened in 2010. The goal was to create as large, bright office spaces as possible for a media company. The three floors in the "Medienbrücke" stand on two 45 m high concrete pillars. The 90 m long bridge is supported by two half-timbered structures. The building has an area of 9,000 m².
The "Telekom Center Munich" consists of 10 office towers, connected by a "skyway" on the top level. The towers are 50 m high and stand in a line on both sides of the sykway. The office complex was designed by Kiessler + Partner, it was opened in 2005.
The home of "FC Bayern München" and "1860 München" was designed by Herzog & de Meuron. The Swiss architects also built the "Elbphilharmonie" in Hamburg. The foodball stadium was completed in 2005 and has a capacity of 75,000 spectators. The film-cushion-façade can switch it's colour between white, blue and red.
The shopping arcade "FÜNF HÖFE" originated between 1998 and 2003. The Swiss architects of Herzog & de Meuron contributed the master plan, Ivano Gianola designed the "Maffeihof", Hilmer & Sattler architects from Munich built the "Amirahof" and the "Hanging Gardens" in "Salvator Passage" are submitted by Tita Giese.
Munich won the bid for the Olympics in 1972 and a spectacular stadium was built. Frei Otto designed the tent like roof and Behnisch architects planned the building. The ensemble includes two gymnasiums and a television tower.
The Königsplatz was redesigned by the Nazi's between 1934 and 1939, to become the "forum of the party". Architect Paul Ludwig Troost built two almost identical buildings for the NSDAP in the national socialist style. The northern part was used as "Führer Building" by Adolf Hitler while the southern part was an administrative building for the Nazi Party. Even if they look the same, they are different from inside. There is a large conference room in the "Führerbau" and two inner courtyards in the Nazi Party building.
regiopia architecture guides